These fun and festive matcha Frankenstein treats are the perfect addition to any Halloween gathering that adults and kids will enjoy!
Halloween is just around the corner. If you’re in need of a sweet treat that is easy and fun to make, these Frankenstein Rice Krispie treats are a must make. They start out just like traditional Rice Krispie treats, but are turned green without artificial dye, thanks to real matcha green tea crystals that dissolve effortlessly into melted marshmallows. The matcha turns the marshmallow a vibrant green color that kids will love and parents can be confident in knowing that this coloring is completely natural and filled with antioxidants.
Matcha adds a subtle earthy flavor to the treats, so a splash of vanilla extract helps to balance and add sweet aroma. Next, the crispy rice cereal is stirred in, getting a full coating in the green marshmallow. These matcha Rice Krispie treats aren’t just for Halloween, you can add matcha to your rice crispy treats year-round for a dose of matcha goodness.
The mixture is spread into a large pan and set aside to firm. Once the marshmallow has firmed, the bars can be cut into any size you prefer, large or small to suit the number of servings you’ll need. You can get 15 or more bars out of a 9×13 pan, ideal for parties.
Now it’s time to turn the bars into Frankenstein! Dip the top of each bar into melted dark chocolate. The dark chocolate is melted with a little bit of coconut oil which keeps the chocolate silky smooth and keeps it from hardening too quickly.
A dot of chocolate is added to the back of candy eyes acting as glue to hold the eyes in place. Next, pipe a chocolate stitch shaped mouth onto Frankenstein and place treats on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Transfer to the refrigerator for 20 minutes to firm the chocolate.
To store: Once firm, store treats in an airtight container in a single layer or with a layer of parchment paper in between layers. Enjoy within 3 days.
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
+ extra for greasing
- 12 oz mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 sachet Pique Sun Goddess Matcha
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- 30 candy eyes
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13 pan with butter. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add marshmallows and vanilla extract. Stir in matcha and continue to cook until marshmallows are melted.
- Turn heat off and stir in Rice Krispies until thoroughly coated in matcha marshmallow.
- Spread evenly on pan using a buttered spatula or lightly greased fingertips to press. Firm at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat, about 5-7 minutes. Stir well.
- Slice Rice Krispies treats into squares. Dip the top of each treat in chocolate and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Add remaining chocolate to a sandwich bag and cut off the tip.
- Add a dot of chocolate to the back of candy eyes and place on each treat. Design a stitch mouth on each treat. Allow chocolate to firm in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Store in an airtight container.