Cool off with this creamy nice cream full of nutty sesame flavor and natural sweetness. Infused with a calming reishi tea, this ice cream can be enjoyed anytime of day!
When warmer weather creeps in, it’s tempting to want to reach for ice cream to cool off and indulge. Ice cream, however, is often full of insulin-spiking sugars and can cause digestive upset for some of us. This dairy-free ice cream is made with one key ingredient, frozen bananas. Bananas create that icy, rich texture that creates the same satisfaction as ice cream – in a much healthier way.
A small amount of full-fat coconut milk helps to add even more richness to nice cream. Coconut milk is high in fat so the ice cream doesn’t freeze completely solid, similar to store bought ice cream. The fat in coconut milk will also create a sensation of fullness, keeping you satisfied. Nice cream can be made with just about any of your favorite add-ins to create unique flavors that keep your taste buds guessing.
In this resih-tahini ice cream, we used Reishi Calm Elixir tea crystals, tahini paste and dried dates for a savory-sweet combination that hits all the right notes. Dried dates have a rich sweetness and chewy texture. Soaking them in hot water before blending softens them for a seamless sweetness throughout. Tahini paste is made from ground sesame seeds and has a distinct flavor that is popular in both sweet and savory recipes.
The Reishi mushroom is known for its adaptogenic abilities that helps promote relaxation and rejuvenate the mind. Adaptogenic herbs help regulate the stress hormones cortisol and keep you calm during anxiety inducing situations. Reishi Calm Elixir has an earthy flavor with caramel notes, thanks to the addition of jujube dates. It’s a caffeine-free elixir so it won’t stimulate.
- 4 medium bananas sliced and frozen
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1 sachet Pique Reishi Calm Elixir
- 2 tbsp pitted dried dates chopped
- 1/2 cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds for serving
- Add chopped dates to a small bowl and cover with hot water. Allow to soften for 5 minutes, drain.
- Add sliced frozen bananas, tahini, dates, coconut milk and Reishi tea crystals to a food processor. Blend on low speed for 2-3 minutes, scraping sides as needed to incorporate the frozen bananas. Mixture should be thick.
- Scoop mixture into a loaf pan and spread evenly. Serve right away for a soft serve consistency or freeze for 1 hour and scoop out nice cream with an ice cream scoop. Top with toasted sesame seeds.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique Reishi Calm Elixir
Vanquish stress. Calm the spirit. Rejuvenate the mind, body and soul.