This Swiss roll tastes indulgent, but it’s lower in sugar, lactose free and easily made gluten-free. The flavors of jasmine and matcha are balanced by sweet coconut sugar and tangy cream cheese for a health-minded dessert.
The classic cream-filled Swiss roll gets a unique twist using both matcha and jasmine tea. The texture of the cake layer is similar to a sponge cake with a slightly chewy texture that is rolled warm and cooled before filling with a dairy-free cream filling.
You can use traditional all-purpose flour or 1:1 gluten-free flour in this recipe. The sponge cake layer contains just five ingredients. Instead of using white sugar, coconut sugar is ground into a fine powder using a personal blender (nutra-bullet, magic bullet etc). A coffee grinder will also work. The coconut sugar will go from dark in color and gritty to a light beige and powdery in under 20 seconds.
To make powdered coconut sugar: add coconut sugar to a personal blender or coffee grinder and blend for 15 seconds or until powdered.
This recipe calls for 5 large eggs, making it high in protein and eliminating the need for added fat in the cake. The eggs keep the cake pliable enough to roll and hold the ingredients together. Eggs also help the cake puff as it bakes. Beating the eggs for a minute incorporates plenty of air into the batter.
Matcha adds earthy flavor and vibrant green color to the outer cake layer. Matcha tea is high in antioxidants that help support the immune system and cognitive function. Catechins in matcha help support healthy cells by fighting free radical damage.
Dairy-free cream cheese can be found in the vegan section of many grocery stores or with the regular cream cheese. This variety is most often made using cashews to stand in for dairy milk. Cashews provide satiating fats as well as minerals like copper and magnesium. The tangy cream cheese is lightly sweetened with more powdered coconut sugar and flavored with jasmine tea crystals. The distinct jasmine flower is infused into green tea leaving its signature flavor and aroma behind.
For Matcha Sponge Cake
- 2 sachets Pique Sun Goddess Matcha
- 1 cup gluten-free or all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup powdered coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 5 large eggs
For Jasmine Cream Filling
- 8 oz. dairy-free cream cheese
- 1 sachet Pique Jasmine Green
- 2 tbsp powdered coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 9x13 baking sheet with parchment paper overlapping sides. Sift flour, matcha tea, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, use a hand-mixer on high speed to beat eggs for 1 minute. Reduce hand-mixer speed to low. Gradually beat flour mixture into egg mixture.
- Spread batter evenly onto prepared baking sheet. It’s okay if batter doesn’t reach the edges of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet.
- Gently roll sponge layer with parchment paper from the short edge forming a log. Cool at room temp for 30 minutes longer or until completely cooled.
- Beat together cream cheese, jasmine tea and powdered coconut sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
Recommended for this recipe:
Pique Sun Goddess Matcha
The world’s purest matcha, crafted to the highest standards of the finest ceremonial grade matcha. Designed for mindfulness. A mug full of zen.
Pique Jasmine Green Tea
Catechins in full bloom. Clean energy + gut support. Exotic fragrance to transport the senses.